Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Weigh-In Wednesday - June 4

Important day, today. This morning Annual Passholders and Disney Vacation Club members got their shot at early registration for runDisney's newest addition: the Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend offering kids races, 5K, 10K, half marathon and more. And you'd better believe I was ready to register myself thanks to a good friend who is an AP holder. I'm officially registered for the Rebel Challenge, meaning I will be running the 10K (6.2 miles) on a Saturday and then the half marathon (13.1 miles) to following day.It's going to be an adventure!

But the rest of that is a story for another day. First a recap of how my brand new challenge has been shaping up so far:

For starters I did something new that I've been meaning for some time now: Go out and explore some new terrain to run. I've lived in Anaheim for 2 years now and I have yet to really see anything outside of my apartment and work (however amazing I think Disneyland is, it's not all there is out there. But it wasn't just about exploring - I needed to get some exercise in as well and the treadmill just gets so mind-numbing sometime so after some quick online searching I settled on taking an adventure to Peters Canyon Regional Park in Orange, CA and hitting the trails for a hike/run. Man, oh man were the hills intense towards the end of my 5+ mile trek but it meant a really good work out and I couldn't have asked for more than that. I was out there for over an hour, which was definitely a great start to my 30 minutes of exercise challenge. As for the trails, I have to study the map a little better if I ever go back again (and I do plan to go back) because I did get a little turned around and just retraced my steps when I reached the halfway point (or thereabouts) of my training App, which I'll detail on another day. But there are a few options for trails so you can get a little bit of variety every time you go. Not a lot of shade so I plan to go earlier in the day whenever I do make it back. And lots of hills and inclines! It's almost the perfect location, minus that lack of shade and the amount of dust I brought home with me. On the downside though, it is a bit of a drive and I can't quite spare that much gas money at the moment so it wont be an every-run thing. But definitely a once a month thing!

Next week I'm thinking of tackling Huntington Beach for my long run. Maybe, we shall see!

My other choice of activity this week has been to get back into yoga with Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown DVD. It's a great combination of a variety of yoga poses I am already familiar with and repetitions and movement - it's like body weight training at home. I love more traditional yoga, but sometimes I need something that's a little faster paced and this certainly is. Eventually I plan to add in some more traditional yoga along the way, but that's for another day and another week.

6/1: yoga
6/2: running @ PCRP 5.7 miles
6/3: yoga
6/4: yoga

And with that, I'll leave today's Weigh-In Wednesday with an actual weigh in:

SW: 141.5
CW: 141
... everyone starts somewhere ..







No comments:

Post a Comment